Flat on his back after a hard foul, J.R. Reynolds figured he might as well give it a shot. Why not? Everything else was going in. The high-scoring guard with a balky hip made shots from everywhere on the court Friday -- including a just-for-fun fling from his back -- while leading Virginia to an 84-57 victory over Albany in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. Reynolds hit 9-13 shots, 5 of 7 from treyville and 5 of 6 from the charity stripe for 28 points. "You know I practice that 'lay down on the floor on your back' shot at the $130 million John Paul Jones Arena," said Reynolds. "It always goes in, but, oddly enough, every shot always goes in at the $130 million John Paul Jones Arena."
Sean Singeltary made 9 of 15 shots, 2 of 4 from behind the 3 point arc and 3 of 5 from the free throw line for 23 points. That's 51 points between them. Albany only scored 57.
Everything came easy for the Cavaliers (21-10), who advanced in the South Regional with their first tournament win since 1995, when they reached the Elite Eight, and will play Tennessee on Sunday. It was their most lopsided win in 37 NCAA Tournament games.
- ► 2013 (273)
- ► 2012 (1121)
- ► 2011 (1259)
- ► 2010 (1162)
- ► 2009 (1800)
- ► 2008 (1972)
03/11 - 03/18
- DID WE MENTION THAT DUKE LOST?
- WHO KNEW SETH GREENBERG WAS IRISH?
- ALWAYS DOWN, BUT HARDLY EVER OUT
- WHO YOU GONNA CALL? NOSEBUSTERS!
- ROCK, CHALK, JAYHAWKS
- IT'S THE ALL-HAIR TEAM!
- PICTURE OF THE DAY
- DUKE HATERS, WAIT AT THE BAR
- COACH K, BOBBY KNIGHT SENT HOME, NO SUPPER
- HEY CAROLINA, IT’S NOT THE NBA
- NEWS FLASH: DUKIE FLOPS
- BLUE DEVILS PARALYZED BY FEAR
- BLUE DEVILS’ LAWYERS SUE BLUE DEVILS
- NCAA INVITATIONAL TOURNAMENT - THE BIGGEST DANCE
- TROUBLE IN DUKE "FAMILY"
- NEW MASK FOR HANSBROUGH
- DREXEL, SYRACUSE, AIR FORCE – CRAP!
- COACH K’S DIABOLICAL PLOT ALMOST WORKS
- ▼ 03/11 - 03/18 (18)